Because Rollyo limits the sites students can search from, you can be a little more confident your students aren't going to pull up something inappropriate on accident. (Nick's unexpected search - 23 player Perdu Dans La Toile - is a FANTASTIC example of why we have to search before class time and not during...) If you have been bookmarking sites for a long time and collecting sites you know you will want students to use, you are fairly set to make your own roll. If this is a new project for you and you do not already have sites in mind, this will be a time consuming project for you. (I could see this being a big deterrent for many teachers.) It is fairly easy to search other people's rolls to decide if you want to use it or edit it, but, again, if you are not already familiar with the sites you will want to check them out before expecting your students to use them to collect information.
For this activity, I created a roll for insects, a research project done with the 2nd grade at the end of the year.
Kate, thanks for reminding me of the power of Rollyo. I definitely need to take the time to develop a few lists for my students to use on research of medieval studies and animals of Texas. Can I call on you for help if I get stuck? -Marty
ReplyDelete