Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Thing # 7

Google tools.  How do I love thee?  I do not believe I can actually count the ways...
OK - Google Maps.  A wonderful tool, especially paired with Google Earth.  Math, Language, Social Studies - you name it you can pair it with this.  The tool bar is wonderful.

At one of the TCEA conferences I saw a presentation from a woman who had used Google Earth to create a real-life tour of New York that simultaneously paired with a book her class was reading.  The ruler can be used to measure how far it takes to get from school to home in various different ways (miles, feet, smoots...).  Truly, it could take days to explore everything these tools could do to support your curriculum.
And, yes, I located my favorite place in Cozumel:

Google Documents are also a fairly large player in our family.  My husband LOVES them because he can start working on something at his desktop at work and continue working on it on our desktop at home, or I can add to it from school.  He loves it for journaling and other on-going projects.  At school, Google Documents could be used to connect busy teachers to enable them to create, build and adapt curriculum.

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to see an example of one grade level team beginning a Google doc and using it to plan a unit of study. Wish we'd thought of sharing 23 Things as a session at our upcoming Tech Camp, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't ever thought to use Google Earth to take my students to the location in their books! What a great idea. I love Google Earth and love giving my students a hands-on experience in the classroom. This is a great idea! I also like the idea of using it to teach measurement. Did I mention these were great ideas?!?! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete