Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Thing #5

Yes, I played on Flicker for a while.  (Both baby nap-times worth, actually!)  I wanted to see just how specific the searches would get.  I was impressed with the results.
I began by searching for pictures I could use for my science classes.  But, then I changed rails and decided to have a little more fun with it.


I am originally from Iowa, and this is a picture of what has spoiled all corn for me.  Sweet corn, bought from the farmer who picked it that morning and eaten for dinner that night.  I am telling you, if you ever get the opportunity, this is they way it was truly intended.  (Well, this is more field corn than Iowa sweet corn, but you get the idea.)

Then, I decided to try to see just how easy it would be to find something specific.  I wanted to find a picture of a favorite place in Cozumel.  (It is the kind of place that you trip and fall on, but everyone who has been there will tell you about it in detail and endlessly chronicle just how much they loved it.)  So, how specific do I need to be to find this picture?  The answer is not very.  I actually found a picture of it with just the keyword "Cozumel".  So, either Flickr truly has an enormous plethora of pictures to choose from, the place is more popular than it seems, or I need to dash out and buy a lottery ticket.  (I think the first choice is correct.)  Anyway, here is a picture from Flickr showing Paradise Cafe (though I think it has another name now...):


And if you go - get the shrimp quesadillas.

4 comments:

  1. Paradise Cafe in Cozumel and shrimp quesdadilla! When does the plane leave?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, love love love the photos of Kyle! AND the photo of that place in Mexico. I want to go there right now. Isn't Flickr great?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture from Cozumel looks wonderful! I wish I was there! I think it's great that Flickr let you narrow your search and find this specific of a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I've never been to Cozumel(darn) but grew up eating farm fresh Indiana corn.

    ReplyDelete